Fear of Spiders (Arachnophobia)
The fear of Spiders (Arachnophobia) is one of the most common fears and phobias that people suffer from. When people imagine a spider they sometimes can create a picture in their mind of a spider much larger and more threatening than it actually is. Another fear is the movement and the unpredictablility of the spider. In reality spiders are a cold blooded species and therefore naturally move away from us (warm blooded species). When we suffer from a fear or phobia of spiders (arachnophobia) we believe and fear that they are trying to get us and follow us! If we do not try to hurt them or catch them they will stop when they get too near us and sense our warmth, then quickly try to escape or hide. So in reality there is nothing logically to fear from noprmal spiders in the UK. We appear to them as very very large warm species so we are the threat not them!
Like many other fears and phobias this fear of spiders (arachnophobia) is often initially rooted in the past. It could be that a child observes and experiences a friend or relatives fear or their reaction to seeing a spider. Further it could be people reacting to the fear of spiders outside or on the television. Often people will scream, panic and try to stand on top of a chair, desk etc. to gain more height or distance from the spider.
We understand that this is a very serious fear even though we all know it is an irrational fear. To find out more see our hypnotherapy solutions.
Click for more
- Introduction to Fears & Phobias
- Fear of Social Situation (Social Phobia)
- Fear of Flying (Aerophobia)
- Fear of Dentists (Odontophobia)
- Fear of Needles (Trypanophobia)
- Fear of Spiders (Arachnophobia)
- Fear of Heights (Acrophobia)
- Fear of Dogs (Cynophobia)
- Fear of Birds (Ornithophobia)
- Fear of Public Speaking (Glassophobia)
- Fear of Enclosed Spaces (Claustrophobia)
- Fear of Open Spaces (Agoraphobia)
- Fear of Dirt or Infection (Molysomophobia)
- Fear of Being Sick (Emetophobia)